Monday, February 15, 2010

The value of 0

I long for a day where African data sets are prevalent. Rich, comprehensive indicators. Where program implementation meets rigor. Evaluation - no longer an afterthought. Where corruption and governance issues are not the most vibrant trends. Where scarce data is no longer under lock and key. I long to see the day that knowledge flows freely.

I long to see the day that social programming in Africa succeeds so we can meaningfully measure education outcomes. I long to see the day that the lowest strata get a fair chance at life, the day we level HIV/AIDS, the day I can return to villages like Penyem and tell them I am doing something real to help.

I long to champion the poor, bridge the blindness, become the expert on best practices. I long to find the pattern in randomness, find a solution among numbers. I long to solve poverty's equation, if only it could be as simple as solving an equation.

I long for the day my work is obsolete. I long for the day meaningless suffering ends.


No comments:

Post a Comment